As Sweet As Tupelo Honey.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

As Sweet As Tupelo Honey.

The truth is, I've secretly always wanted to title my blog this, but felt like I was maybe a little too obsessed with the little slice of heaven that I grew up in. The more places I go and people I meet, the more gratitude I have for Tupelo and the way I grew up. If you know me, you know this about me. I'm sure it's fairly annoying. But I loved it and I love it and I'll always love it. Tupelo wasn't too small and wasn't too big. Everyone went to the public high school (I'll add here that every student in Tupelo Public School District from 6th-12th grade got his or her very own Macbook this year) and it was the greatest high school in the world.

And the community. The people who live in Tupelo, Mississippi love one another fiercely. They crowd your house in the midst of tragedy, when you might not even want to see a crowd, and they pick you up and carry you through your grief... feeding you dinner the whole way. They are nosy, they talk about each other, they don't always get along, but they love each other hard and they show up when it counts and they hold you... literally and figuratively.

Tupelo, with its 5A football and small town charm, has a piece of my heart. I don't know if I'll ever live there again, or even if I want to, but it was the greatest. Now that I've moved far, far away to Tigerland, I feel like I am justified in titling my blog after the place and people who have defined so much of me.

And God is blessing me so much that my days are as sweet as Tupelo Honey.

Rachel

1 comment: